Bed Making 101
Wake Up and Get Creative Bed-Heads!!
To be involved you can volunteer as a Cone-Head, assemble your team to build a bed, compete by theme and race for best time or come join a pit crew …no bed theme or idea? We have the creative team to assist you and the pit crews to join you!
The race is a free community event and fundraiser that proves that a community can come together, have fun and raise funds for Grove Charities and the Charity of Choice Of the Grand Marshall (to be announced in August).
The race involves rolling beds down village streets in Coconut Grove with our local community, individuals, businesses, organizations, and clubs sponsoring the beds. Teams consist of 5 members, four (4) race and one (1) rides and a PIT Crew of five (5) additional members allowed to help rally the crowd (in PIT Row only) to vote for their bed as CROWD Favorite. The teams parade for décor prizes and race against the clock until the fastest eight (8) beds are determined and go head-to-head racing for the top position. Prizes are awarded for theme, décor, and racing success.
Race fee: $100 registration fee per team for virgins (1 bed, five participants) ($50 for returning veteran teams) from June30th, 2013 to July 30th, 2013 -- $125.00 late registration (including late veteran teams) fee up to the Final entry deadline of 5 pm, Aug. 26, 2013. 100% of the registration fee goes to charities of Coconut Grove.
Complete forms including names of five participants, waivers and fee must be in to qualify. Last minute team participant substitutions must sign waiver, pay $20.00 fee and have proper ID. Deadline for team substitutions is the required Captain's meeting, Thursday August 29th. A fun, competitive, brainstorming gathering is scheduled August 3rd, for teams, friends, volunteers and families to attend. Door prizes will be given out with drink and food specials (location TBD). Teams will gain inches on race day by attending the Get Rolling Gathering and Bed Race Workshop. See Bed Race Calendar Page "Events & Bedhlam".
Note: All teams are required to raise an additional minimum of $250.00 for the charity through www.active.com – IT's all about giving!
Captains Meeting: *REQUIRED ATTENDANCE for Captains STRONGLY SUGESTED attendance for teams* Thursday August 29th at Location: TBD
Final event rules, pit assignments and racing routes will be given out and reviewed.
Prizes: Prizes will be announced at Bed Race for the various categories ( Best Engineered Bed – Crowd Favorite (by text votes) –Best Theme – Just Plain Funniest). Cash and gift certificates go to these categories only. Trophies are awarded for the actual race for First, Second and Third Place finishing.
1) Each team must have a minimum 5 people to a team who actually race (4 runners, 1 rider ). Alternate, just in case should be on your Pit Crew, Another five people who will not race, but will help with design and prep and may rally all day in PIT ROW trying to get the Crowd to text their vote for crowd favorite. The Pit Crew must sign in at the registration desk as well on race day to get access to the track.
2) Rider must wear helmet
3) Race course is almost 1/8th of a mile down Grand Avenue, its a 220 on the track.
4) Two beds will race at once for a time trial. Two time trials per team. Top 4-6 times go head to head drag racing for the championship in single
elimination per division. Supreme Speed Demon wins trophy.
5) All beds must be decorated (keep in mind there is a contest for best decorated and a great prizes for this)
6) Anyone may design and decorate the beds, not just team members.
7) Any size wheels are permitted
8) No breaking devices allowed
9) No steering devices allowed
10) Pushing the bed only during the race, no pulling
11) All 5 team members must pass finish line (with the bed) in order to win and stop the clock
12) Judges decision is final on race times and on bed construction, which must adhere to all rules and regulations stated below under bed construction. All beds will be inspected by judges prior to the races. The judges have final word in all matters pertaining to the race and reserve the right to disqualify or penalize a team at any time.
1) Men's Division (M): To qualify the team of 5 must be all males (ages 18+), including rider in bed.
2) Women's Division (W): To quality as the team of 5 must be all females (ages 18+), including rider in bed.
3) Co-Ed Divison (E): To qualify the team of 5 must have at least two members of the opposite sex (ages 18+)
4) Corporate Challenge (C): To qualify the team has a minimum age requirement is 30. No male or female requirement for this division.
1) Twin bed size only. Mattress or padding (minimum of 4 inches thick) must be part of design and design must mimic a bed with headboard and footboard. No bed stripping before race. Parade bed is race bed!
2) Beds must have minimum of four wheels one in each corner, all must touch the ground, wheels can be any size
3) Beds can be decorated in any way but must have a headboard and footboard as part of the design – be creative!
4) Bed can not have any means of propulsion other than the team pushing it. No motors. No steering mechanism. Human power only. No brakes.
5) Bed may have push bars not extending more than 4 inches out. Nothing sharp may be part of the bed.
6) Any violations in bed design will have penalties (up to and including disqualification). Beds that are not constructed according to the rules will be required to be modified onsite to adhere to the rules.
7) Participants are encouraged to dress along with the bed theme decoration to win prizes
8) No sharp items, glass or obscene items on beds. Beds will be disqualified for any of these violations.
Umbrellas are provided for shade. One cooler per team. No Glass containers or labeled bottles. Drink tickets are provided for each team. Water is stationed in the area, please feel free to hydrate and encourage others. Trash will receive penalties at the race line. No one under 18 permitted and no dogs. We love em ... kids and dogs ... but it is too hot and loud for either.
Great Grove Bed Race "Get Rolling Gathering" & Bed Race Workshop
August 2013 6-9 pm
All teams, volunteers, friends and Pit Crews Welcome (Under 18 must have parents' permission).
Aug. 26, 2013 **Final entry deadline, 5 pm,
$125.00late registration fee for all registrants Veteran and Virgin alike
Thursday August 29, 2013 7pm
If you would llike to host any of these events at your location please call Barbara at 305-766-3536